<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Ralph Klein has gone and it is time to retire Ralph's World. Thanks to all of you who have supported this venture by contributing material and through your comments. It has been fun.

Should we get another blog underway? Let me know your thoughts by e-mailing me at johnnyslow@gmail.com.

John Slow
January 1, 2007

Friday, December 05, 2003

Party Money for Leader's Pleasure 

I read with interest an article in today's Edmonton Journal in which Premier Klein talked about a special fund for his pleasure. Click here to read the article. The premier said and I quote "It's my money," he said. "I mean, it's the party's money for my pleasure. But it's my money."

My feeling is that some clarification of the size and use of these funds would be in the public interest. Consequently I have sent the following e-mail addressed to the leaders of our three main parties; - Premier Klein, Ken Nicol, and Raj Pannu.

To: Leaders of the Alberta PC, Liberal and NDP Parties

Subject: Party Money for use at the Leader's Pleasure

To further assist me in understanding the ways of politics in Alberta could you please answer the following questions regarding the use of your party's funds for use by your leader. This question was prompted by Premier Klein's recent discussion regarding his acceptance of private flights for personal use. The Premier is quoted as saying "It's my money," he said. "I mean, it's the party's money for my pleasure. But it's my money."

The questions I have are:

1. What is the current size of your party's fund set aside for this purpose and how much typically is spent per year from this fund?

2. Specifically, what types of transactions is the money used for? Could you provide some recent examples with their associated costs?

3. Does your fund come from political contributions which are eligible for an income tax credit for political contributions? If the answer is yes, is this not equivalent to the Alberta Tax Payer subsidizing this fund? If this is not the source of funds, could you please say what is?

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this issue. I look forward to your response. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly

John Slow
johnnyslow@hotmail.com

As always, I will post any responses if and when I receive them.
Click here to see responses to letters that have been sent to MLAs.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?